Monday, April 18, 2016

Old Window to Jewelry Organizer

About a year ago, we redid Soprano's room to reflect her tween-ness (and to fix the paint issues.) Part of what I wanted to add to her room was a jewelry organizer.
I did a lot of searching online for ideas using an old window, but didn't find exactly what I wanted. I ended up pulling ideas from a bunch of different places to come up with our end result.

I love using old windows! We had a bunch from when we replaced our old windows, and I used a few, gave a few to my mom, and got rid of the rest. So we had to go shopping to get this one. We found it for $3 at our local Habitat ReStore, along with a window screen that we disassembled and the small hooks for necklaces.

The first thing I did was decide on how to use each pane. I went with 2 for specialty necklaces, 1 for rings, 2 for bracelets, and 2 for earrings. The last panel has a Bible verse in it. (The King is enthralled with your beauty; Honor Him for He is your Lord." Psalm 45:11)
 To make the bracelet and necklace panels, Bass drilled spaces for the knobs (Hobby Lobby).
Then I added a layer of batting
Then I added some fabric, using a staple gun. (Like upholstering furniture.)
The front-side of the panel:
The last step was to make a small x-shaped cut in the fabric so Bass could stick in each of the pegs.
The earring panels were easy to assemble; just folded up on the edges, then stapled in to the sides of the window pane on the back side. Same process with the verse panel. (I printed the verse on cardstock for sturdiness.)

The ring panel was a little more involved.
I bought two packs of curlers at the dollar store and doctored them a bit to make them the right length.
Dollar store bendable curler
Pop off the end 'cap' and pull out this wire so you can cut the curler down
Add your cut piece to the end of a second 'upcapped' curler. A bit of hot glue will hold it together.
I started by gluing a bit of the fabric to the edge of the wood panel. Then I glued on a curler, tucked fabric around it - gluing it down, then added the next curler. And repeat. My tip would be to glue the curlers really close together so they'll hold your rings securely.
Start gluing them on. But closer together than what I'm showing here.
Bass used a staple gun to hold all the panels in place, stapling them into the sides of the panes on the back side of the window. Along the bottom, we added a row of tiny 1" 'L' hooks (ReStore) and a decorative dahlia knob (Hobby Lobby) in each corner.

We put it all together, and now it looks like this.
The left side
The right side
It fits her room perfectly now, but I think it will grow with her. And with a little bit of work, she can always change out the fabric.
 I think I want one. :)

Linking up to some or all of these great blog parties:
Sunday: It's Overflowing
Monday: Inspire Me Monday at Sand and Sisal; Tutorials and Tips at Home Stories A to Z; Monthly Before and After at Thrifty Decor Chick; The Scoop at Worthing Court
Wednesday: Wicked Awesome Wednesday at Handy Man, Crafty Woman; Whatever Goes Wednesday at Someday Crafts; 
Friday: Frugal Friday at The Shabby Nest; Flaunt it Friday at Chic on a Shoestring; Friday Finds at Craftaholics Anonymous

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your kind comments make me smile!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...