Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Wait.... this soap feels strange

 
So have you ever been to someone's house, gone to wash your hands either to help in the kitchen or after using the powder room, and thought, "Hmmm.... there are 2 different soap things here. Which do I use? How 'bout this one? Wait... this soap feels weird. Aw, gross. I think it's lotion. Or else it's really strange soap. Whatever.... where's the towel?"
Okay, maybe it's just me.
And maybe I'm the only one that has a whole conversation with myself.
At least it's usually in my head!
It's all in me head. It's all in me head.*
:)

Anyway, I've mistakenly tried to wash my hands with lotion instead of soap on more than one occasion, and I don't want any of my guests (or other family members) to have the same confusion. I get really dry hands in the winter so having lotion right at the sink helps me remember to use it and thereby saving my poor hannies from getting chapped and cracked.
I already had a little ceramic dish from Home Goods to corral my bottles, which I got at TJ Maxx. (They're a nice big size that won't need refilling too often; they're plastic which is just plain safer with 2 younglings in the house; they're a nice round-y shape that fits perfectly in my pretty dish; and they're clear so I can see when I need to refill them.)

To help keep things straight in the kitchen, I knew I had to come up with a water-safe labeling idea. I didn't want to paint letters on the bottles and since they're plastic, I didn't think etching would work. I debated on cutting out vinyl letters with my Cricut but I've heard that you need a special water proof vinyl. I wasn't sure how to make this work, but then I found this cool chalkboard sticker paper by Wallies at AC Moore and thought it might be a good solution.

I snagged a box with a coupon (of course) and then got to work.
In order not to potentially waste too much chalkboard paper, I cut some sample size labels from junk paper to figure out a size and shape.

Here we've got too big:


Too small:

Then, just right:

I used my Mini Monograms cartridge to cut the simple scalloped square shape. I left the backing on the chalkboard paper and it stuck to my cutting mat just fine. I set the blade depth to 5, the speed dial to 4, and the pressure dial to 5. It cut through really well! I was a little surprised but very pleased!


I gave the bottles a quick refill and wipe down and then applied the labels. I just need to purchase some hand lotion before the winter season begins.
Now, no more soap/lotion confusion! At least in my kitchen.

Linkin' but not like Abe.


*Bonus points if you caught the "Chicken Run" reference.

4 comments:

  1. great idea. I have never seen the sticker chalkboard paper. We don't have an AC Moore here in Louisiana. Wonder if Hobby Lobby sells it.
    thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! If you have time, I'd love to have you link it up to my party at http://scrapbookingez.blogspot.com/2011/09/one-stop-thursday-linky-party.html. Thanks for sharing! This is pretty neat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. very cute. i love chalkboard labels! and your homeschool info is great. i'm gonna have to keep up with you guys! we have a lot in common. :) thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a clever idea! Especially since I've used what I thought was soap before realizing it wasn't. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments make me smile!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...